[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Re: New York Times article

chris garrigues wrote:
> I really don't see what NFS has to do with netscape security.

the point is that many sites make security-capable clients
available with nfs and other protocols that don't do
integrity-checking. gauthier et al can modify those clients
while they're in transit, without fear of detection. for
eaxample, they could patch the executables you receive, so that
the modified client code mails your password or your credit-card
number to berkeley. in netscape's case, an even easier patch would
just change the browser's copy of the verisign certification-
authority public key. this change makes your browser vulnerable
to a man-in-the-middle attack, which is very hard to detect,
and is also very hard to prevent. i've appended a description of
this attack, below. my description doesn't mention gauthier's
attack, because gauthier hadn't announced it at that time.

while it's not news that nfs is insecure, the insecurity that
people commonly knew about was a different one, concerning
privacy and access-control. on-the-fly message-integrity attacks
have commonly been thought to be impractically difficult. thus,
the nyt article was far from content-free; it's a wake-up call
for the networking industry.

					-don davis, boston